My Journey To Becoming A Sunlife Financial Advisor - Making Sense of Pesos

Latest

Someday It's Gonna Make Sense

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

My Journey To Becoming A Sunlife Financial Advisor

journey-sunlife-financial-advisor-Mt-Annapurna

Can you believe that I am never really good at handling money? When I started earning from my first job, all I do was spend all my cash on my wants not needs. Though I still help with paying utilities for our household, money for me will come and go.

How My Ilocana Mom Taught Me To Be Thrifty

My mom is a full-blooded Ilocana. I remembered her listing all the expenses up to the last cent in her old notebook. She also didn't spoil us with material things. She usually doesn't buy us pasalubongs or chocolates whenever she'll send us balikbayan boxes. She worked really hard as an OFW from Malaysia for over 20 years. I used to be rebellious when she doesn't give us much money to buy new clothes and things for school. We usually got 2nd-hand clothes from her employer's kids or better yet sew our old clothes so we don't need to buy a new ones.

At a very young age, I learned how to earn money on my own. I experienced selling 1 peso biko, and sew rugs at a very young age. I learned to stretch my school allowances. Good thing my school was close to home so I can walk and just save the money for the things that are really needed.

Then I went to college. I only tried one school for the College Entrance Examination which is Polytechnic University of the Philippines. They offer scholarships as long as you pass their exam. I was not confident enough that I would pass the examination as they were a lot of examiners. I waited and prayed because if I don't pass the exam, I won't finish college. I wanted to help my mom and don't want to burden her with the finances of studying at a private college school. Luckily, I am one of those scholars.

The Struggle and Working Without A Purpose


After college, I started working immediately. I started working just to fill on my vices (traveling, gimik with friends and shopping). I never had a savings account, no investment, no emergency fund. Then I had this 2nd job which I grew tired of because of traveling long hours from home. I quit and started a job that is not really my forte but near our house. It was a Sales account so being new means I need to do good in attendance and performance. But I got sick with an infection. I had no money and a health card as I was still in production training. I pitied myself for not having enough money to go to a decent hospital. I crammed myself into a public hospital with 2 is to 1 bed. I was frustrated. I was working for a few years then and yet I don't have any savings at all. I was absent at work for 4 days to take rest and a few days after, I was fired at work. It was December, I had no money and I am jobless. It was an eye-opener for me.

Being A Mom Made A Turning Point

Luckily, I was referred by a previous colleague to a new work before Christmas. I was determined to set things right. I then decided to get my very first townhouse and my first VUL from Sunlife.

I thought everything is going on smoothly but a
 few months after I got the approval from my PAG-IBIG loan and getting approved from my VUL, I got pregnant with twins. Yes, not one, but two babies! It was financially draining but it made a great impact on my finances.

I looked back and realized the mistakes that I made with all my money decisions. Ever since I was young, saving money was really hard. No one advised me on what to do with my small income. I was lost. The money will always come and go. I couldn't even help my mom to stay here in the Philippines for good.

I then decided on making extra works, sideline gigs, making
my own website just to have that extra money as we are living paycheck to paycheck. I tried selling online (clothes, makeup, skincare, perfumes, etc) and online jobs. I also accepted doing hairstyles, and makeup for events, even theatre plays. 

It finally hit on me that having that extra money or large income is not worth it if you don't know how to handle it. Everything that you've been working hard on will be useless.

After that realization, I started reading financial books, financial blogs, and all other financial resources that I could find to help us day by day. I studied on my own. If I can't make that extra money, we need to live within our means. That's when I started experimenting with what I've learned. I got investments from banks, opened bank accounts for my kids, and started my
Sunlife Mutual Fund for PHP500 only.

How I Become a Licensed Sunlife Financial Advisor

I met my Mutual Fund Advisor Roselle Cobangbang when one of my mommy blogger friends
May of Fully Housewifed shared the promo of opening a Mutual Fund for PHP500 only (from PHP5,000). They were also looking for a Financial Advisor to join their team. And I thought, why not?

I wonder, how I was able to live if I can manage my finances the right way. So as someone who felt lost before, I wanted to give back and share my knowledge and experiences on handling their money. And that, being a Financial Advisor is one great way.

When I decided to enter the life of being a financial advisor, it was not easy. There were a series of online training and exams. It was challenging as I have my full-time work. The good thing is that they have an online training that I can work on at home. So that's what I did.

sunlife-financial-advisors

After a series of Introduction, Online Courses, Insurance Concepts Review with Insurance Commission Simulated Exam, Variable Universal Life (VUL) Online or Manager Training, lastly taking the Insurance Commission Licensing Exam.

There were also requirements after passing the licensure exam. And it doesn't end there, you also need to attend training to cope and master yourself in delivering financial knowledge to your clients.

After many hard works and sleepless days, while juggling my corporate work, being a part-time blogger, and being a mom to 3 kids, I am now a Licensed Sunlife Financial Advisor! And as of this writing, I am still into enhancing myself more in this new venture in my life because I want to be the best for my future clients.

Why Become A Sunlife Financial Advisor?

Becoming a Sunlife Financial Advisor has its own benefits. 
  • Work on your own time
  • Competitive Bonus & Incentives
  • Earn unlimited income
  • Travel Incentives
  • Work-Life Balance
  • And most of all, help your friends and families with financial literacy

Why look for a Sunlife Financial Advisor?

I was a client first before becoming a part of Sunlife Financial Advisor. I know how it feels on going thru the stress of managing money alone. Life happens and sometimes you are thrown with unpredictable life events that you can't handle especially if we are talking about losing a job, where to get funds for the school and I could go on and on. Believe me, you don't have to do it all alone. On problems, you have your friends that you can rely on. But in managing your finances, you need someone you can trust and someone who knows who can help you achieve those dreams. To prepare for your lifetime goals, look for a Sunlife Financial Advisor to bring you closer to your purpose.




As my purpose is to entail financial literacy to each and everyone, I wanted to be honest with each client that I will have. So I wanted my family to be my first client. My very first client is my brother because I believe that before I could share real insights, we should experience it firsthand.

My journey from not knowing how to handle hard-earned money to be a Sunlife Financial Advisor is definitely rewarding. I am now committed to fulfilling my desire of helping others.

Looking back, making those money mistakes was worth it because I will not be here writing this post for all of you guys. I learned to make the best out of what I have. I become contented but didn't stop there. I know I still have a long way to go yet I am determined to not give up.


Don't know where to start? Talk to me and I'll provide you a FREE financial planning.

Meet Our Team - Mt Annapurna!

Mt Annapurna Team consists of individuals whose aim is for Filipinos to find their financial freedom and have a Brighter Life.

journey-sunlife-financial-advisor-Mt-Annapurna


Starting a career as a Financial Advisor is no easy task. But are you up for the challenge? We are still looking for someone to join our awesome team! Let us spread financial literacy to each and every one. Comment down below if you are interested or email me on the contact us page.

To get the latest updates: Follow Making Sense of Pesos on Facebook and Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment